General Discussion

Help me purchase my new lap top

Most important spec of all is "build quality, service, support". I am willing to pay for that quality!
I have nothing against large PC companies, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, etc. That said, it seems very difficult to get close to what I'm looking for from these main suppliers. I live in the US but discovered in my research, small PC builders, they seem to cater to gamers, hi end business machines, but some will work with someone like me. Some were even in the UK and seemed to be well thought of and some even seemed competitive in price, even with shipping. A question is, is it silly for me to consider looking at these small builders, I might be incorrect in thinking that these smaller shops might take quality/service/support as more important, then say a multinational corp. I'm open to any and all suggestions, directions, opinions. Anybody who has weighed through this long winded request and wants to comment, hey, feel free, I'll be happy to hear any thing you all have to say.

General Specs.

1) What is your budget? Up to $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
US if possible UK if necessary
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
N/A
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Yes
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Watching/streaming videos, uTube, TV...Web surfing...Email...letter writing
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Notebook will travel but will be plugged in most of the time, no matter where it is.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
No games.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Machine will rarely run on battery longer than 1 hour.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I do not need to physically see/touch machine before buying.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
I'm hoping to buy PC with Win 10 installed, hopefully without bloatware/crapware, a clean install.
Screen Specifics
12) What screen resolution would you prefer?
Text should be big and east to read, very good resolution a must. Something like a 1920x1080 display would be fine.
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
No preference, open to suggestions.
Build Quality and Design
Build quality is most important also warranty, support (Will pay for quality)
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Right away, if my old one dies, or end of July, when Win 10 is available, I have Win 7 now and I am eligible for the upgrade to Win 10, either as OE or when Win 10 media is available.
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
As long as my old one, 5+ years
Notebook Components
CPU, a decent dual core or a lower end Core i3-5-7 processor core may be a better choice down the road.
GPU, any Intel IGP should do, or a lower end dedicated chip.
RAM: 12GB sounds good, open to suggestions.
Networking: A good Intel or Atheros chip will do the trick quite well. plus Blue Tooth.
Extras Card readers, fingerprint stuff, docking station. not important. Connections for USB 2 and 3, MDMI, ethernet, yes important.
Battery, What ever battery comes with this PC will be hard pressed to keep up with a 17" display, as stated above, unit will be plugged in most of the time.
Thank you for any help, direction or suggestions.

S
By Stanrubin
Posted On: Jun 10, 2015 07:12 PM
Create a new discussion
© Copyright Red Pixels Ventures Limited 2024. All rights reserved.